The onboard treadmill was an adventure this morning as we sail the rough seas on the way to our final Alaska stop, Dutch Harbor. We’re not sure what to expect since there are no excursions available but at least we’ll be docked and I won’t be rocked from side-to-side while running again tomorrow morning. After that, I’ll just have to somehow get used to occasionally grabbing on to the support bars to keep from falling off. It’s seven long days at sea from there to Kauai, our first of three Hawaiian ports.  

Yesterday was sightseeing in the town of Kodiak including a military settlement, three museums, and a Russian Orthodox church. Like Sitka, it was once an important Soviet port before they sold the entire territory to the United States back in 1867 for a price of 7.2 million. The Kodiak History Museum is housed in the oldest standing log structure on the West Coast, called a Magazin (Russian for store), built circa  1808 as a storage facility. Across the street was the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge Center where on display was a fascinating skeleton of a Gray Whale that was found on the local beach, intentionally buried for four years to allow bacteria to strip it to bare bones, cleaned, and eventually reassembled to be suspended from the ceiling of this museum. It was the tourism highlight of the day. 

Dinner last night was once again at the Chef’s Table where we were entertained by dozens of whales just outside our window-side table. The evening ended with Reuel, a fabulous pianist from Austin, Texas that put on a dazzling performance in the Star Theatre. It was the first act on the boat to keep us awake for the duration, although some of the other artists had their moments. My wife is currently at a French cooking class while I write this and will spend the afternoon playing bridge. She was particularly excited this morning when we found out that power had been restored to our Florida home and a thoughtful neighbor had moved and watered our sheltered plants. However, we were also informed that we may have a couple of damaged roof tiles as a result of Ian. We’ll assess all the minor damages when we return in less than two weeks. Still no word on Tally, but as more homes get power, communication will certainly improve. We’re confident that she’s fine with all her schnauzer brothers and sisters but some reassurance would be welcome. Tally where are you?